Tuesday, June 30, 2009

June recap - Month 4

June was relatively quiet. Almost all expenses happened as planned. We came across a really good deal on a TV for the kid's playroom (been looking for a year now) and we jumped on it. It's no nice to know that it's paid for in full and there is no 'credit card statement' looming overhead. In June, we put $400 to debt, and once we get through July we'll be able to contribute a much more significant amount on a monthly basis.
We found out that friends of ours have stopped using their credit cards too. And when we were out to dinner with friends, they commented on how weird it was for Bobby to be carrying cash since he's always been a credit card guy.

I was able to buy a few beach necessities at Kohl's this past week. Kohl's is one of those stores that you have to use your Kohl's card to get the really good deals. I was in there about a month ago, and bought a few items with cash. When the cashier asked if I had a Kohl's card I told her "Yes, but I don't use it anymore" Then I asked if there was a way I could use my card and then run right back to customer service and pay the balance with cash right there. I was astonished to hear that I didn't even have to go back to CS - they'd let me use the card at the register and then pay in cash. How cool is that???
So on my most recent trip, I spent $71 and saved $108. How's that for bargain shopping? AND I earned $10 in Kohl's cash too!

Looking forward, I really feel like we have more money than we ever did before. But we're just spending it wiser than we ever did.

If my math is right, we should have our debt paid off by the Spring and my mini van paid off before summer. We've also built into the budget to put a deck on the back of the house in early spring.

That's all for this month. We leave for vacation on July 4th. We're so excited!

No comments: